Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Are Plastic Baby Bottles Safe?

I listened to the news last night with concern. More and more plastic bottles are being proven unsafe to use because of the levels of bisphenol a (BPA). I went looking for more information on this potentially unhealthy compound, and wound up at the FDA's website. It says:

Message for Consumers
At this time, FDA is not recommending that anyone discontinue using products that contain BPA while we continue our risk assessment process. However, concerned consumers should know that several alternatives to polycarbonate baby bottles exist, including glass baby bottles.


Pretty scary! My sister is expecting a baby next March, and my grown daughter drinks from plastic water bottles every day. Below are some links to help explore the topic of BPA.

As quoted on MSNBC News, Laura Tarantino of the FDA says:

"...consumers can avoid plastic containers imprinted with the recycling number ’7,’ as many of those contain BPA." "...They can avoid warming food in such containers, as heat helps to release the chemical."

2 comments:

Isaac and Joanna said...

Hey sis! This is the pregnant sister. Thanks for the info. Isaac had read about this somewhere; but he had mentioned the bottled water, not baby bottles. I will definitely read the links. Thanks for starting your helpful blog! =)

Kenn Bing said...

Hi Adrienne,

I will check all my plastic kitchen items for #7 recycle number. Thanks for letting us know. I guess the more you stay with glass, the better you are with many cooking ware. I see that Canada has ruled it unsafe and Michigan and Maryland are conisdering ban on such products used for consumption.
Keep us posted!